Planning & Zoning
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the counter for Building Inspections and Planning and Zoning is only open to those with an appointment. You may schedule an appointment with Building Inspections by calling 801-963-3283 or with Planning and Zoning by calling 801-963-3282.
Para evitar la propagación de COVID-19, el contador para inspecciones de edificios y planificación y zonificación sólo estára abierto a aquellos con una cita. Puede fijar una cita con el departamento de inspeccion, llamando al 801-963-3283 o con Planificación y Zonificación llamando al 801-963-3282.
Planning and zoning was a cornerstone issue of the incorporation campaign for the city. Planning was seen as the mechanism for making West Valley City a more desirable place to live.
With tougher regulations, more consistency and stricter enforcement of existing ordinances, city officials hoped to accomplish three important goals: encouraging home ownership, improving the city's appearance and maintaining respect for individual property rights.
In 1984, the city developed a general plan to provide direction to future growth. The implementation of the general plan has helped transform West Valley City from a struggling bedroom community to a thriving employment center.
- What is the zoning on my property?
- What uses are allowed in a particular zone?
- I would like to build a detached garage or shed. What zoning regulations apply?
- I would like to add a patio cover to my house. What zoning regulations apply?
- I would like to add an attached garage to my house. What zoning regulations apply?
- Can I rent out my basement?
- Can I have an accessory dwelling unit or mother-in-law apartment in or detached from my home?